Monday, May 03, 2010

Endlessly new

Quote from Ursula LeGuin's story "Solitude," published in the collection "The Birthday of the World."

"Life in the [village] ... is repetitive, as I said; and so it can be dull. Nothing new happens. The mind always wants new happenings. So for the young soul there is wandering and scouting, travel, danger, change. But of course travel and danger and change have their own dullness. It is finally always the same otherness over again; another hill, another river, another man, another day. The feet begin to turn in a long, long circle. The body begins to think of what it learned back home, when it learned to be still. To be aware. To be aware of the grain of dust beneath the sole of the foot, and the skin of the sole of the foot, and the touch and scent of the air on the cheek, and the fall and motion of the light across the air, and the color of the grass on the high hill across the river, and the thoughts of the body, of the soul, the shimmer and ripple of colors and sounds in the clear darkness of the depths, endlessly moving, endlessly changing, endlessly new.

"And so I came back home."

**

Reading this, I thought of the years I spent travelling around Eastern Europe and how I knew when they were over: when I met the man who is now my husband, I knew that I had had enough of movement. I wanted to live in one place awhile. I wanted to understand how that one place could be "endlessly changing, endlessly new."

And here I am.

Happy 39th birthday to me.

9 comments:

dkgoodman said...

Happy birthday! Ah, to be so young again. :)

MARY G said...

That's a wonderful quote - LeGuin has so much to say. A lot of it subtle, but all of it worth while.

happy, happy birthday to you. And I'm glad you have found your spot and post in this spot for my delight.

nonlineargirl said...

Happy birthday!

jo(e) said...

Happy birthday!

That's a lovely quote.

You and I are almost exactly ten years apart in age.

Jody said...

Happy Birthday! (What a great quotation.)

mavaldecasas said...

happy birthday...but so far I know it is as well your father´s birthday!...I was with your parents in Granada all day long today...I guided them through Granada & the Alhambra. We had a great day together & We spoke about blogs... I write my own one too...

I will read youRS from now on!

greetings from Granada

Granada, grey y yo

mayberry said...

Happy birthday! What a nice way to observe it.

Sandy D. said...

Happy Birthday - that is a wonderful quote, and such a nice post to read.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! Sorry I'm late--I'm behind on my blog reading. But I LOVE that quote! She's an amazing writer, isn't she? I've lost my Earthsea trilogy and I'm so bummed because I want to introduce it to my kids, and no one here seems to have it.