Thursday, May 13, 2010

A pink kink in your think

Whilst driving to the other side of town (and back) two days ago, I scanned the landscape for pink. I saw exactly seven instances of that color: the buds on three crabapple trees; the flowers of three rock-garden shrubs (candytuft); and the petals of one lone desert wildflower.

It's interesting that pink elicits such a strong cultural response when in fact pink is so seldom seen in the landscape, is it not?

*

I asked the kids to help me find the color pink. Sasha laughed at me and pointed to the passenger seat, where I'd set the hot-pink canvas bag containing our first week's CSA veggies.

OK, OK, but do you see pink outside?

Sasha pointed to the coat of a little girl walking by.

Well, but I mean in the natural world — among the things God made, not the things people have made. I never see pink there!

And then Blake laughed, and exclaimed, "Haven't you ever seen a sunset?"

*

Do you see pink where you are?

6 comments:

Jen F said...

When I think pink... I think about cherry blossoms at the state capitol building. And tulips in all the gardens!

mayberry said...

Yes - we have redbuds and cherry blossoms; and soon we'll have peonies. I am (as I am every year) unduly excited about the peonies.

Blake was wise, about the sunset!

Anonymous said...

I've been thinking about you and pink since your previous post. You need to come to Rabat. Rabat's in bloom right now. There's an alleyway not too far from us where the houses are planted with a purple bougainvillea and it's amazing--an entire wall of brilliant purple! Rabat is pink and purple and red right now, and blue and green. There is so much colour that God made! It's not like Mauritania, where the only colour in the landscape was in the clothing of the women. Not like Bend either.

Magpie said...

Spinning in my desk chair, I see pink in the outrageous carpet that runs past my cubicle, and my cell phone has a pink silicone case. That's it.

At home, there's lots of pink - inside and out.

Sandy D. said...

Ornamental cherry blossoms (two in our yard), the neighbor's tulips, our hyacinths (now finished), our tree peony - though that is more of a magenta than a pink.

In the summer, our yard is surrounded by swamp milkweed, which is pink & white.

And I'm afraid I saw some lovely pink mold in my compost container the other day. I think it was on the banana peels.

nonlineargirl said...

Wow, this pink thing really got to you, didn't it? The pink here is giving way to other colors. In my yard right now the mainstays (other than green) are purple (lavender, salvia, etc), yellow (yarrow) and orange (california poppies).

But pink will soon be back (peonies).

I enjoy the desert and considered living in the high desert of New Mexico, but I would miss the western OR abundance of color.