Monday, April 26, 2010

!=spring

Central Oregon spring is not the spring of popular imagination, in which March comes in like a lion and goes out like a lamb and April showers bring May flowers and the world slowly turns green. In Central Oregon, spring is a clear struggle for dominance between winter and summer.

Last week summer won out. My kids and I wore shorts to Sawyer Park, where Blake found a garter snake that Sasha caught, and we marveled over caddis flies in their houses. We played outside after school. The peas sprouted and I planted some lettuce.

This week? Winter's back. A storm's blowing in right now; I can hear the wind flinging tree limbs about; and they say that tomorrow night we'll have snow.

***

The sun, however, will tell you what's what. It's in the sky 20 minutes longer this week than last.

***

Whilst googling "battle between winter and summer," which I hoped would give me a good title for this post, I found this. How interesting. Would you say pond skimming is the modern version of that event?

No comments: