"There must be a way," said Owl, "to be upstairs and to be downstairs at the same time."
"Perhaps if I run very very fast, I can be in both places at once." Owl ran up the stairs. "I am up," he said. Owl ran down the stairs. "I am down," he said.
Owl ran up and down the stairs faster and faster. ... "Faster, faster, faster!" cried Owl. Owl ran upstairs and downstairs all evening. But he could not be in both places at once.
"When I am up," said Owl, "I am not down. When I am down I am not up. All I am is very tired!" Owl sat down to rest. He sat on the tenth step because it was a place that was right in the middle.
Lobel, Arnold. Owl at Home. New York: HarperCollins Publishers, 1974, pp. 42-49.
I love this book. Owl is foolish but the stories are wise. Mine is a library copy; I think I need to own it!
2 comments:
That's lovely.
Wow. I know just how the owl feels. Except I don't think I've figured out where the 10th step is...
Post a Comment