"Oh!" I said. "Heidi!" I'd forgotten I'd placed an order with her, but I was pleased to see her; she's an interesting woman, German I think; she's running a farm out in Tumalo. She'd brought me two dozen eggs & a bunch of fresh-cut thyme,* and we chatted a bit. I gave her the empty egg cartons and two clamshells I'd saved for her. (Deschutes County doesn't recycle clamshell plastic.)
Just as she was leaving, the Schwan's delivery man appeared. With four boxes of frozen food.
Oop.
Well! But! They were small boxes! and I'll be out of town next week, and my husband is too out-of-practice to work a full day, supervise the kids' homework, do the bedtime routine and cook a Michael Pollan-approved meal...
Yes. It was embarrassing.
_
What about you? Do you sometimes rely on instant meals?
*It's 55 degrees here. Her greenhouse is thriving. Go figure.
6 comments:
Yep. My sin is premade lasagna. And the occasional ordered in pizza.
On the other side of the ledger, I persuaded my granddaughter to eat cucumber at supper tonight. Not 100 mile, but Ontario greenhouse, so not too bad.
Never explain, never apologise.
Okay, that's not really a good motto for every part of life, but every now and then it is just the right thing.
Well, I mostly felt like a hypocrite. I was channeling the Portlandia clip "Keep It Local" -- which is a MUST SEE!
http://www.ifc.com/videos/portlandia-is-it-local.php
We order pizza a lot. Does it count as eating local if the pizza shop is local?
Ha! That's funny. One of the parents at our kids' school is doing a winter sowing project and needs plastic bottles to start the seeds in. She very gingerly asks for people to save 2-liter bottles ... "not that YOU drink soda, of course, but ..."
Post a Comment