Thursday, February 25, 2010

Hard core

Mt. Bachelor's Conditions Report from today at 11:30:
"Summit's open 360, 6 inches fresh last night, 16 in two days and it's BLUBIRD! Pinch me are these conditions real! I just got back from a couple laps on the backside...amazing! See you on the slopes!"

I love Mt. Bachelor's conditions report. I check it all the time, even on days like today, when I know I can't make it up to the mountain. I don't know who writes it. Whoever he is, his excitement is contagious. After reading it I have almost skipped work a dozen times. Reading the report makes me feel part of a community of powder hounds; I can sense all the other people reading the report and wishing they could be riding, rather than working. Or child-caring. Or whatever.

I went up into the storm on Tuesday. I love storms; I love the energy and I love how the conditions change from run to run. I rode for 2 1/2 hours, giddy as could be. One of the lifites called me "hard core." (Flatterer!)

I hope y'all have had a chance to do something that makes you happy.

No comments: