Monday, February 11, 2013

Sparkles

After ten consecutive weekends, snowboarding was feeling more like a job than a gift. I was dead tired of the whole thing: the early, busy mornings and the recalcitrant children and the cold and the pain and the – the have to on a weekend.

So Sasha and I took a wee break this weekend. We played hooky. All day Saturday we did whatever the heck we wanted, so long as it didn't involve snow; and then on Sunday she and I snowshoed while the boys skied.

It was so cool. It was surprising. We saw critter tracks everywhere. We stood in the forest, in view of the chairlift, with the buzz of snowmobiles around us, and we saw critter tracks everywhere. We followed them all 'round – between trees and over hillocks and down – trying to find the critters themselves, but we never did. It was very mysterious. I'm not sure what they were. Pine martens, do you think?

Sparkly snow with possible pine marten tracks near the trees.


Title borrowed from jo(e)

4 comments:

alejna said...

Sounds like a great weekend! I've never been snowshoeing. I'm quite curious.

MARY G said...

Could be, indeed. We found tiny, tiny vole tracks this weekend. The ten year old was infatuated.

Alejna, snowshoeing is awesome. also very easy. Just make sure you have good equipment - it pays to pay.

jo(e) said...

What's funny is that when I saw the title, I thought, "Hey, what a coincidence! I just used the same word the other day on a blog post." Then I got to the end ....

jo(e) said...

And that sounds like a lovely weekend!