Saturday, September 08, 2012

Good night, little house. Good night mouse.

My husband's parents sold their house in Camp Sherman. I planned to write a wry, amusing post about it but I'm too sad to do so. I'll miss that place – not the house, which is just, you know, a house – but the meadow and the creek and the bridge over the creek and the mint that lines it, and the aspens and the ponderosas and the pussywillows, and the view of Black Butte from the backyard, and the great joyful peacefulness I always felt there.

Big thanks to my in-laws for sharing it with me these last 15 years.

Good-bye, little house.

*

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just went to Camp Sherman for the first time last weekend. We camped on the Metiolius River. I loved it so much. It's my new favorite river. So even though I didn't know until now that your inlaws had a house there, I am so sad too. :( What were they THINKING??

jo(e) said...

Aw, it's sad to say goodbye to a place like that.

Mayberry said...

Aw, bummer. Just over Labor Day weekend we were in my husband's hometown and drove wistfully by the lake house he used to stay in as a kid. He still misses it.

Jennifer (ponderosa) said...

Nomad, a lot of people have said that! But they're in their 70s, and my father-in-law is in poor health, so a house is just too much for them to manage at this point.