Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Remains






Upstream from Benham Falls, 15 miles from Bend.

This ponderosa tree grows beside a trail which is actually wider than the Forest Service road that leads to it. The trail used to be a railroad track. Back in the day – in the 1930s, I'd guess – one of the logging companies built and maintained it. A sign explains that once a year the company hauled its 2000 employees out here on the train and they threw a huge party, a company picnic. That's why, says the sign, you still see stands of old-growth in these parts. The company left them deliberately – for atmosphere, you might call it.

This particular tree, however, probably got left because it grows crooked. I wonder if children played here 80 years ago? Or 280 years ago?

1 comment:

MARY G said...

What a gorgeous old tree. I can see First Nations kids swinging on it, long long ago.