Sunday, May 08, 2011

Ten things

Ten things I admire about my mother (in honor of her 40th Mother's Day):

1. She is such a private person that she'll hate this list.

2. She can make a lovely, fulfilling meal in an empty kitchen. She's like Westley on the balustrade, exclaiming, "Why didn't you list that among our assets?" when she's cooking at my house and discovers that I also have a tablespoon of peanut butter and half a chicken leg.

3. She does what needs doing.

4. She has been married to the same man for over 40 years.

5. If I see a bird that interests me and describe it to her in even the most general terms, she can tell me its name and how it behaves.

6. She can kill a rattlesnake with a shovel.

7. She's determined to eradicate the cheatgrass around her cabin here in Oregon, Sisyphean task that it is!

8. She is still in touch with the family that were our neighbors 25 years ago, when I was in high school – three moves ago.

9. She always gives the perfect present: not what she wants, and not what she wants the receiver to want, but what the receiver actually wants.

10. She listens.

3 comments:

Mayberry said...

Loved both of these lists! How great. Also, I am always a fan of a good Princess Bride reference.

Magpie said...

If I email you some pictures of a dead bird, will she tell me what it is?

It's the bird in this post: http://www.magpiemusing.com/2011/03/memento-mori.html

I have other pictures. In fact, I have the actual bird. In my freezer. I don't know why.

landismom said...

That is a lovely, lovely post. A belated Happy Mother's Day to you both.