Thursday, May 26, 2011

Ooooooooooo

One of our guinea pigs died last week* and has been reincarnated as a mouse.

Sweetie – the former-guinea-pig-now-mouse – lives in the wall that divides the stairwell from the dining room. For three days I heard her scrabbling about while I worked. The wall is about 10 feet from where Sweetie's sister sits in a cage; I imagine Raincloud can hear her, too, but Raincloud always has been quiet (Sweetie was the squeaky one) so I can't tell if she recognizes the sounds for what they are.

On the other hand: Sasha says that it's not a mouse, but Sweetie's ghost. She might be right; I haven't heard the scrabbling in a day or so. Maybe Sweetie just wanted to say good-bye.

Oooooooooooooooo!




*She died while we were on vacation. One of my daughter's school friends was babysitting her. I waffle between blaming him for Sweetie's death** and feeling horrified for that poor seven-year-old, who had his friend's dead guinea pig in his room for a day.

**We don't know why she died. She was four, which is I believe late middle age for a guinea pig.

2 comments:

Joie de Vivre said...

Oooh noooo! The poor kid! The poor parents! Do they get a replacement or not? Ugh. Hope the kids are taking it in stride?

Anonymous said...

I have no idea about the veracity of this, but I have been told that guinea pigs very often die premature deaths caused by heart attacks.