Monday, April 18, 2011

That said...

Updated 4/19.

I do love the iPad. I like to curl up in bed and watch movies on it, just like I'd read a book; or else, curled up all cosy-like, I look at items for sale on Etsy. (I've never bought anything from etsy sellers, but oh, I do love to look at the things people make. Bend is a small town still; it's hard to find anything like what's available in Etsy, especially for clothes. I'd buy this if I could figure out a place to wear it.)

I use the iPad almost exclusively for internet browsing: searches for recipes or summer camps or edible native plants, for example, or reading all y'all's blogs. I check email on it. I check the weather. I check Mt. Bachelor's current conditions. I read the news. I stream podcasts through it when my work gets tedious; I prop it on the windowsill and watch movies while I'm washing dishes. The WebEx app for iPad is better than WebEx on my company-provided laptop, so when I'm not hosting, I often "attend" meetings that way. Sometimes – don't tell! – when I'm on a conference call that turns irrelevant (or, more often, when I'm tempted to say too much and need to hold my tongue) I play Solitaire on it.

I find it miserable to type on, though. Cutting and pasting and backspacing is just painful, and it turns out that even when I compose emails, I do a lot of cutting and pasting and backspacing; so I never compose anything on the iPad. The problem is not really the iPad in itself, but the fact that I'm trained to a keyboard. I'm almost 40. I type 80 words/minute. Using a touchscreen to compose is as slow as ... as ... as writing!

Also, I dislike reading books on it. I think again it's a matter of mental models. The Kindle app is intended for reading books, so when I hold the iPad I think: book. But it's not a book. It's a computer. It doesn't provide the same satisfying tactile experience as a book, and it does poorly the few things I need a book to do (which, essentially, provide comforting familiarity. When I read fiction I channel my 12-year-old self). And I don't yet know what it does better than a book.

Movies, on the other hand, I find vastly improved by the iPad. I never have liked going to the movies, not ever in my life; and I don't like TV either. Movies have struck me as loud and obnoxious and too obviously manipulative with that music and faces as big as a house: gah. Watching them on the iPad, though – curled up in my bed, alone, quiet, in control – it's so intimate. It is, actually, just as intimate as reading a great novel. Also I like being able to (as it were) re-read sections that puzzle or intrigue me. It has been a great pleasure to discover movies – in my late 30s!

3 comments:

MARY G said...

Interesting. Curl up in bed and watch movies. I could enjoy that. My husband bought a huge screen flat TV and there's merit in it if the movie is scenic, but curling up is not an option.
Hmm.

Magpie said...

typing is tricky - mostly i do it one fingered... however, on a plane recently, without an internet connection, i answered many many emails. i got into the groove with the ipad set up on the tray table with its little prop stand, and it was surprisingly okay. but the ergonomics were just so.

Anonymous said...

I bought a keyboard for my ipad, and it's fantastic. Because the whole keypad thing...I cannot get it to work for me. And yes, I love cuddling up in bed with it and watching things when I am home alone. Have you seen Gavin & Stacey? It's the perfect watch in bed on your ipad series.