My parents stayed with the children while my husband and I were away. It went brilliantly. Every time I called home I heard laughter, both from my children and my parents; and when I returned, my dad was glowing and the children, they confessed that although they were glad to see me, they'd miss their grandparents.
The kids got to school on time. They did their homework every night. They remembered their library books and they remembered when to wear sneakers.
Also: my parents fixed my toilet. They replaced a broken toilet paper holder. They bought new shoes for Sasha. They cleaned the house, raked the yard and restocked the larder. They washed my car. And then – as Sasha said – "Grandpa couldn't get the TV to work so he bought a new one."
They didn't tell me about any of the work they did; I've been discovering it as I settle back into our routine. Five days later I'm still finding little treats around the house: a bag of white chocolate chips, a book about the fur trade, notes on spice packets saying "the kids liked this." It's like an Easter egg hunt!
Thanks, Mom and Dad.
4 comments:
That is so awesome! You are one lucky woman.
Oh, my goodness, how awesome! I would have PAID MONEY to hear what Sasha said when he couldn't get the TV to work, remembering what she said when we were running late to the Nutcracker: Getting mad won't help things! Getting the last word on a 6yo with better emotional intelligence than you: visa, priceless.
Oh, how great! So nice when the trip is wonderful and the coming home is too.
Oh! They sound terrific!
Post a Comment