Monday, January 03, 2011

On 2010

Cribbed from Mayberry Mom --- a prompt to get me writing again.

1. What did you do in 2010 that you’d never done before?

Fell in love with snowboarding. (At the end of last season, I mean. Apparently snowboarding is something I need to fall in love with anew each year. Still waiting...) Visited New York with my family. Switched to 30-hour work weeks. Actually enjoyed most of those 30 hours. Learned to make pie crust – very good pie crust, thankyouverymuch. Hosted 20 people for Christmas Eve dinner. Ate pulled pork made from a pig my kid sister butchered on her dining room table.

2. Did you keep your new year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?

Yes.

Last year I resolved to indulge myself more, or at least cut down on self-sacrifice. Do you know what I did – several times! – in 2010? I slept 11 consecutive hours.

This year I intend to be less daunted by logistics.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?

No, but one friend adopted a child and another is pregnant! Hooray!

4. Did anyone close to you die?

Thankfully, no.

5. What countries did you visit?

Manhattan. (Ha!)

6. What would you like to have in 2011 that you lacked in 2010?

More time with my husband.

7. What dates from 2010 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?

Dudes, I'm nearly 40. Not much gets etched on my memory.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?

I learned to make pie crust; and! I'm pretty sure I only had one big meltdown the whole year.

9. What was your biggest failure?

You know, in 2010 I often felt stymied. I could write a whole post on this.

Partly I got stumped by logistics, as I mentioned above (you find a babysitter for 4pm on a Wednesday: go ahead, I dare you: and no you can't call your mother-in-law again); but also, I felt like I was in a continual battle of wills with my children, like I couldn't get anything done because I couldn't summon the energy to fight them over it. I think that my failure to show these men of will what will really is caused me to miss a lot of good stuff.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?

Oh, sure, but nothing too terrible.

11. What was the best thing you bought?

My husband is exceedingly happy with the slippers I bought him for Christmas. In 11 years of marriage, they're the first gift I've ever given him that he really liked.

12. Where did most of your money go?

Feels like: Mt. Bachelor

Actually: mortgage, car payment, etc. etc.

13. What did you get really excited about?

I can't tell you.

14. What song will always remind you of 2010?

Bet Against the American Dream. This American Life, I -heart- you.

15. Compared to this time last year, are you:

– happier or sadder? The same
– thinner or fatter? The same
– richer or poorer? Richer. 2009 S U C K E D. That's all I have to say about that.

16. What do you wish you'd done more of?

I wish I'd snowboarded down the Cinder Cone pre-season with my sister-in-law, who is now moving to Portland. (Heaves big sigh.)

17. What do you wish you'd done less of?

Prevaricating.

18. How did you spend Christmas?

At my house (and then my mother-in-law's down the street) with both my sisters and their husbands and my exuberant nephew and my own children and my husband, and my parents, and my husband's parents, and his sisters and his brother and his brothers-in-law.

It was awesome.

19. What was your favorite TV program?

I don't watch TV. I did watch the 2009 miniseries Emma on YouTube about 800 gazillion times. (I finally bought it.)

20. What were your favorite books of the year?

Jane Eyre?

21. What was your favorite music from this year?

Band of Horses played at the Amphitheater here in town. They were awesome. There were fireworks. Literally.

22. What were your favorite films of the year?

Uh, Despicable Me?

23. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?

39, and I don't remember. Not because I was drunk. I just don't remember. (I'm bracketing my 40th birthday with trips to B.C. and Hawaii. I hope that sticks.)

24. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?

To be able to recall at least one accomplishment for the year that did not involve homemaking skills. (Pie crust, though!)

25. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2010?

Get dressed already.

26. What kept you sane?

My funny, smart, loving children; and my funny, smart, loving husband; and all my funny, um, extended family. (Ha! I know you're reading this!)

27. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2010.

The weather is finer when you're in it than when you're looking at it.

4 comments:

mayberry said...

"Not much gets etched on my memory." LOL!

Joie de Vivre said...

Um...it's spelled "Keiser So-Say" as in "So Say I!"

And that is such a great quote! Send a link to the slippers (I'm in the market). While I could not have written this post from your perspective, I read your answers saying to myself "Oh! That is SO Jennifer!"

Only you would consider 11 consecutive hours of sleep as the pinnacle of indulgence :) Your husband is sooooo lucky.

Jennifer (ponderosa) said...

J -- I hadn't thought of it this way before, but apparently in my mind "self-indulgence" = "shirking my maternal duties in favor of doing absolutely nothing constructive" (seeing as the children do not sleep 11 consecutive hours).

Anonymous said...

I love your last one, about the life lesson. I made it my new years resolution last year to get out into nature at least once a week, for a full day, no matter what the weather, and I did a pretty good job of it. And it's so true, though I never really thought of it that way: "The weather is finer when you're out in it than when you are looking at it." That's wonderful. Thanks.

-jill