Introverts get their energy from being alone, those online personality tests say. Extroverts get their energy from other people. If that's true, it's an extrovert's view.
Introverts are more interested in their own thoughts than in the thoughts of other people. An introvert in a roomful of people sits staring out the window not because she's shy, or afraid of people's opinions of her, or unsure of what to say. An introvert stares out the window so she can think without the distraction of all those other voices and intentions and opinions.
You might find an introvert in deep conversation with one other person. This is not a contradiction. She's mining that person for new ideas. You will hear her say I never thought of it that way or I didn't know that, how interesting. And then she'll go stare out the window awhile, pondering what she has heard.
-2-
Maybe not all introverts are that way. This introvert is.
-3-
Cities are difficult. It's not the crowds. Cities emanate thoughts and intentions and opinions. Billboards, graffiti, shops, the signs on top of taxis – building facades, statues, fountains – Cities are always talking. In a city it is always 6pm and I'm trying to dream up dinner while my son and daughter and husband are holding three separate conversations with me. And the phone rings.
I like to be in a forest or desert or even just along the river: anywhere that the wind can get me. The wind knocks me out of my head and into my body, so that at last I look up, I look out, oh hello world, there you are.
-4-
I like to be outside with other people. My strongest, fondest memories from childhood all take place outdoors, with my family or with neighborhood kids. I love parties around a bonfire; I like to snowboard with friends or walk along the river with them. I like to go exploring with my children. I can't imagine hiking uphill alone, not even up Pilot Butte, but climbs with my husband or other family and friends up South Sister, Broken Top, Mt. Washington, Tam McArthur, Black Butte, Black Crater – these are some of the most fun, most memorable times I've had in my life.
That's interesting, is it not? Indoors I turn within, and think, and time passes invisibly. The outdoors make an impression.
-5-
I didn't make new year's resolutions so much as set new year's goals. This year I intend to snowshoe in the mountains during a full moon. I intend to camp at either Sparks Lake or along the road ("road") to Broken Top. I intend to visit the Steens in fall.
I just need to find people to go with me.
Then I'll sit inside again for a long while, thinking!
5 comments:
That "Where do you get your energy from?" thing has always irked me. It's inaccurate. We get our energy from food and sleep. The real question is what depletes our energy, and why. I don't get energy from being along, but being with other people depletes my energy. Initially I may get a boost of energy, but then the boost fades and I'm exhausted.
I think boredom depletes energy too. If you're bored when you're by yourself, then you lose energy. If you're bored by the small-talk of most people, that sucks energy too.
Bea, I always know an Austen reference will bring you out! --- I wondered what you would think of this, being introverted yourself but hating the outdoors : )
I'll go with you. We can be introverts together and listen to the wind.
I wish I could go snowshoeing with you! I'd love that.
Tracy, you're on. I was sure you'd camp with me at least.
Mayberry -- as soon as I can make it out to the midwest, I'll call you!
Post a Comment