2. I just watched POV's 3-minute animated short "Q&A," in which a 12-year-old boy with Asperger's Syndrome interviews his mother. I have two comments on this film:
2-1. Twelve year old boys are generally as tall as their mothers. The boy in this film is way too short.
2-2. I've had very similar conversations with my son (although he's rarely self-doubting). I'd say I have conversations like this with everyone. What is it, exactly, that tips off the "neurotypical" that the boy is Asperger's? Or does he seem completely normal to you, and you only know he's Asperger's because they tell you?
5 comments:
It has snowed here from time to time in August also. However, it is 32ÂșC here at present. Send snow!
Hmm...I don't think I would have thought about Asperger's when seeing that movie without being told. But then again, I don't really know any kids that age. Plus I'm not entirely sure that I have a good sense of "neurotypical," as members of my family have many characteristics that overlap with those of the autism spectrum.
Which reminds me, have you ever seen this quiz?
http://www.piepalace.ca/blog/asperger-test-aq-test/
I just took it again, and apparently I am getting increasingly higher scores. I used to score the level of "average physicist," but just now I got one above "average math contest winner." But maybe that's because I had a sucky weekend with several annoying parties where I had to chitchat with lots of people I apparently had nothing in common with. It made me want to hole up somewhere.
Snowing?! Wow.
Snow, huh?
I don't know that I'd have thought the kid has aspergers, but he did have kind of an odd way of speaking (not the accent, but the cadence).
In any case, it was incredibly sweet.
Apparently that video is not available in my region. (The region of Canada?) One of the things I've learned along the way is that there really isn't some kind of gap or leap between the highest-functioning Asperger kids and the most Aspie-like neurotypical kids. With Bub, there's no one thing I could point to in his behaviour that wouldn't also be true of many other kids his age - it's more the cumulative effect of those moments and their occasionally debilitating effect on things like his ability to function in a classroom.
Post a Comment