Thursday, August 19, 2010

If you water it, they will come

When I learned that a raccoon had dug a house for itself under our garden shed, I intended to buy a trap. The children talked excitedly about a live trap, but I've had encounters with those dexterous creatures; I doubt I could manage an angry, caged raccoon. I thought I'd better kill him.

Then Terry Tempest Williams spoke in Bend. Have you heard her speak? Oh, my. When you read her books, you can put them down for a moment to hug your children, or punch a wall, or whatever helps you diffuse the intensity of her sorrow; but when she speaks, you must listen. You must face what she's facing. It's difficult.

Anyway, when Ms. Williams came to Bend, amongst her larger tale she told a little story about prairie dogs. She said that the Army Corps. of Engineers decided (I can't remember why) to eliminate prairie dogs from a section of Utah. Being modern citizens they first talked it over with the Native Americans, who said, "But if you kill all the prairie dogs, who will cry for the rain?" And the Army Corps. of Engineers said, Ah. Huh. Then they killed the prairie dogs. And then: Without prairie dogs maintaining tunnels under the ground, turning over the dirt and aerating it, the soil turned to hardpan; when it rains, the water doesn't seep into the soil but instead runs right off. Without prairie dogs, what was desert is now wasteland.

Now, obviously I'm talking about killing one raccoon, not all the raccoons in the Bend metropolitan area; but after listening to Ms. Williams, I thought it behooved me to pause. To consider. To watch awhile.

*

He left. The raccoon left. We put one of my son's old toy trucks at the entrance to the house he built under our shed, and now he's gone.

That's anticlimactic.

*

Yesterday evening my husband and I watched a rock chuck (a yellowbellied marmot) eat the clover in our front yard. He gathered tall, dry grasses and carried them into his house under our big tabletop rock, where I believe he intends to hibernate. He's super cute and fun to watch. He has dexterous hands like the raccoon. Like me.

But they say rock chucks like lettuce and tomatoes and this one I know for a fact likes not-quite-ripe raspberries.

So I'm watching.

4 comments:

alejna said...

Wow. That prairie dog story is powerful.

I hope things work out with your rock chuck, one way or another.

MARY G said...

We have a box live trap and it contains the raccoons quite well. But they give you such reproachful looks when you check the trap. And you have to drive them so very, very far before they won't come back.
We have used a jaws necktrap twice on groundhogs (also called woodchuck) that were undermining foundations and were lucky to have instant death on one use but had to finish off #2. I hate the suffering, even to save the foundation of the kitchen porch.

MARY G said...

Black squirrels are apparently quite wide-spread. Here's the Wickipedia link. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_squirrel

In Ottawa there's about a 50/50 mix blacks and greys. In the country we have red squirrels - half the size and twice as aggressive.

jo(e) said...

Hearing Terry Tempest Williams in person is very intense.