Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Nature v. nuturing

I learned to ride a bike the summer that I was six. My daughter is strong and sturdily built with good balance and physical self-confidence; there is absolutely no reason why she can't learn to ride this summer – the summer that she'll be six — just like I did. So last week, on our one day of glorious, warm-and-sunny weather, I arranged a biking playdate. We met a neighbor in the (level, large, untrafficked) cul de sac behind our house. I thought seeing the other children ride might inspire her.

My dastardly plans were foiled, however, when the kindergartener we met wouldn't ride, either!

So, you know. The kids abandoned their bikes in the cul de sac and instead climbed trees, climbed rocks, picked itty bitty flowers and made nests in the birdbath.

Why ride a bike in circles on the road when there's so much to explore right here? For goodness sake, Mom.

*

I am such a horrible photographer. I just can't see. I was trying to get a shot of the weird way new growth appears on this tree, which looks like an aspen but I think mustn't be; it was only after I'd transferred the pic to the computer that I noticed: child in tree in foreground, abandoned playstructure in background.




This post is part of Backyard Mama’s children & nature carnival.

3 comments:

Debi said...

Just found you through Backyard Mama's blog carnival. Nice to meet you!

Don't you love it when your best laid plans go awry -- but then something magical happens anyway? Love the photo! My 5 1/2 yo is just beginning to contemplate climbing trees (oh, and he can't ride a bike yet, either!).

mayberry said...

My husband convinced our daughter to learn to ride by telling her it would make a good birthday present for me. It did!

MARY G said...

You never know. My (in my opinion) timid kid came home one day, at age five, and announced to all and sundry that she had learned to ride a bike and wanted one.
And she could ride like the wind - on her friend's too big machine.
I once took a picture of the Parliament buildings in Ottawa with a big traffic light blotting out the central tower. Snarl.