I forgot that I forgot to close the study window last night, so when I woke I thought a bird had flown inside. His singing filled the house. Birds sometimes enter my parents' house near Sisters when my parents are away; when they return they find feathers and poop and, once, a hard, tiny body.
But no, the bird had not flown inside. He was outside the study window. I found him perched on a limb of the ponderosa which drops so many dead needles onto my roof. Talking talking talking, that little finch, the same phrase over and over. Every so often the female, who sat on the nest they'd built in the honeysuckle, would call back to him.
I imagine the female was saying, "Do be quiet! Everyone knows you're going to be a father!"
The nest is so close to the house that I can't see it from inside, so after awhile I stepped onto the porch to see her better. I startled her, though, and she flew away.
*
For a few weeks after giving birth for the first time, I felt a kinship with all mothers -- all mothers, human or not. It was very strange. I felt like they were my sisters; I felt like I knew what they were going through (pigs suckling half a dozen babies! ow ow ow!), and also that I could learn from watching their parenting.
I don't feel that way anymore .. but it does please me that those two finches have chosen to give birth at my house. I can't wait to see the babies.
3 comments:
I woke up this morning to the sound of a bird trying to escape from my kitchen.
I talked to it and then quickly folded my hands around it. It either knew I would not hurt it or it was too petrified to move. It's heart was beating fast in its soft warm chest.
I took it outside and it sat on my hand for a few seconds before leaping back into the sky.
"Kinship with all mothers, human or not".
I love that.
- Jennifer (Faking It)
Miss Baby and I stood about 6 inches away from a mourning dove that was just hanging out on the windowsill on the landing. We were both just rapt: she'd never really considered birds before, and I know you don't usually get so close. Even through the glass we could hear it just shuffling around on the wood, cooing to itself. Nice.
Post a Comment