I awoke this morning before anyone else and sat quietly, just sat quietly, in the family room. Raindrops on the skylights, light dim. A few months ago we ordered BendBroadband's version of Tivo, the box for which hums exactly like a fishtank; our refrigerator, it turns out, is also loud. Hmmmmmmmmmm.
I had slept all night in the crack between the kids' bed -- waking once in the night but too leaden to move to my own room. My eyes felt like (to borrow my husband's phrase) two piss holes in the snow.
I remember feeling like this in the mornings on camping trips: feeling stuffed-up and achy and incapable of motion. On camping trips, though, one can always climb outside the tent and stretch in the cold air. One listens to animals rather than mechanical hums. So I stepped out my door to get the newspaper.
It sounded like an aviary out there. So many birds talking! Call layered over call, like people's conversations at a dinner party.
I said hello to the quail crossing the street. They ignored me; but yes, I do feel better now.
6 comments:
Hope your day gets a bit better...
Beautiful. I'm an allergy sufferer, but not even hay fever can quell my excitement over a spring morning like that.
A perfect way to start Earth Day.
(Well, not the waking up between the beds and the burning eyeballs. NOT that part. The go outdoors to refresh part. ;)
When I feel hot, stuffy and grumbly and I cannot sleep I step out into the cool evening and suddenly things do not seem so bad.
I love the image of you stepping out into birdsong.
I'd love to grill you. Can you send me your e-mail address? notsosage[at]yahoo[dot]ca
two piss holes in the snow.
I'm totally stealing this saying.
Post a Comment