Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Quail!

I saw a quail!

A squirrel sat in a flower pot on the deck and I called Sasha over to watch him, funny little squirrel; and we saw a quail! Poppa quail I think, the look-out, perched warily on the top of our neighbor's fence.

Spring spring spring spring spring!

//

Monday we visited the old cemetery near the Camp Polk Meadow Preserve. It reminded me of cemeteries in Russia, where people enclose their plots with fences.

The meadow was filled with spring peepers -- frogs. I took a video so you could hear them. The sound on my computer is busted so you'll have to let me know if the peepers come through the wind and crackling.




Central Oregon calendar:
  • Yellow crocuses blooming in my front yard
  • The sunniest spots have daffodils blooming; north side of the house, just stalks
  • Iris spikes about 2 inches tall

4 comments:

Occidental Girl said...

The other day two quails ran across the road in front of us, so we stopped to watch them as their little legs run while their little head-bobble things bobbled. So cute!

Jen said...

We've seen lots of (intoxicated) robins... but no quail yet!

The robins *love* our juniper trees.

Mayberry said...

Cool... our nature moment yesterday was watching a seagull catch a fish in our (now thawed) lake. For the rest of the night Opie was going on about "bird catch FISH! in BEAK! den fyyyyy away!"

jo(e) said...

I tried listening to this video the other day but my house was too noisy. This morning, I tried it while the kids were all still asleep and I could hear the peepers!