Friday, March 23, 2007

Climb on

Ponderosa pines are known for growing perfectly perfectly straight, but the ones along the Deschutes River are gnarled old things. My sister-in-law says the porcupines do that. She says that when a porcupine builds a nest in a ponderosa, it splits the trunk, forever altering the tree.

Last Sunday while barbequing near the meadow at Cow Camp, my son and I discovered the only ponderosa we will ever be able to climb. It grows sideways, straight out of the bank and over the river. We all walked up and down it.

Thanks, porcupines.



3 comments:

Mimi said...

I always appreciate how your posts are rooted in something ... um, real? Like trees, or walks in the woods, or drives to parks with the kids. I feel like I'm outside when I read your blog. In a really good way. Thanks.

And what a great photo.

Jennifer (ponderosa) said...

Thanks, Mimi! I think that's the nicest thing anyone has ever said about my writing.

NotSoSage said...

Beautiful post. And mimi's right.

Thanks, too, for what you said over my way. I have been considering getting rid of my archives -- saving posts as documents and deleting what's online -- but I also don't think my reasons are as good as yours (although I don't actually know what happened in your situation).

Thanks for being there. I really appreciate it, and I'm very glad that you're blogging, too!

I hope you had a wonderful weekend.