It's not green here. The shrubs and deciduous trees look dead. When we walked through Shevlin Park on Sunday and I exclaimed to my brother-in-law, who lives in Portland, that the bitterbrush was getting its leaves, he just laughed at me. Excitement over bitterbrush stubs is funny to someone who lives in the Willamette Valley, where the streets are littered with cherry blossoms.
Still. If you look very, very closely, you'll see new growth.
Bend calendar:
- The hawks are back. I noticed them this week, first time since fall. Leisurely circles overhead.
- A week or two ago the mourning doves again began their familiar cry.
- Redwing blackbird singing by the river.
7 comments:
Sounds beautiful, nonetheless.
I feel like it's spring here, but my parents call from Victoria in February to tell me about the new, bright green buds on the trees.
You know, I just heard mourning doves out back a few mornings ago, too. One night we actually left the bedroom window open a crack (it was up to 70 that day); the next day it was back in the 30's and snowed.
Ah, we have mourning doves very near to our house: this year, though, I mistake their early morning cries for my Miss Baby, so I have to relearn the difference between whiny baby and whiny bird!
I'm still amazed by the fact that spring arrives so early in the Willamette Valley. Back in the midwest, the daffodils are just now popping up from the soil. They're fully flowered in my yard.
On the other hand -- and I don't know whether this is true for Central Oregon or not -- in many other places the weather will be consistently warm and sunny much sooner than it will be here.
It sounds awesome. I can almost smell the bitterbrush. Chances are though that I'm smelling something from my childhood when we lived in a similiar environment and not the real bitterbrush.
Here we are having the first days cold enough to want to stay in bed those 15 additional minutes.
I'm looking very hard to find spring in my woods, but it's still a little early.
Pablo
www.roundrockjournal.com
you're right - it does sound funny. it's been spring so long in the valley that my daphne isn't even blooming anymore. already on to it's summer leaves. 'course its quite chilly and rainy still. it's the little pleasures. :)
Post a Comment