The Lure of a Mountain
In the darkest months of the year, a woman leaves her children in the care of others and trudges up a mountain. Every week she does this, stopped by neither snow nor sleet nor howling winds. She is joined in her trek by hundreds of other people, some from towns nearby but others from cities a thousand miles distant. Emergency personnel stand by. Support personnel supply food, water, shelter.
In her most ambitious novel to date, Jen Ponderosa examines the impulses within a quiet, suburban mother which lead her to undertake this dangerous pilgrimage.
The Wilderness Within
This is the story of Jen Ponderosa, a housewife and mother of two who lives in a society that values safety and the reduction of risk above all else. Chafing at what they view as the excessive caution in this society, Jen and a band of "adventurers" begin brief but regular forays into the wilderness areas which surround the town. Upon return they bring a smell of freedom which begins to subvert the quiet order of things. In the conflict which follows, Jen must re-examine her notions of acceptable risk.
This is the second in Andrea's Monday Mission series: a blog post written in the style of a book jacket blurb.
The first is a fair description of my Saturday, on which I snowboarded ALL DAY! (Big thanks to my mother-in-law.) The second is just something I thought of while I was writing the first.
9 comments:
Nice. Mine will be up before I go to bed tonight.
Awesome, Jen. I loved this. It was gorgeous and funny.
These are brilliant. I'm still totally blocked on this one.
Great idea - I'm on it! Gimme a minute, though, it's going to be difficult to reach the level of yours...
I love these! I may have to join in...
Excellent.
These have been really fun. It's the first creative thinking I've done in a long while (excepting the stories I tell my kids at night).
these are hilarious. fabulous idea...
I love these!
- Jennifer (Faking It)
Post a Comment