Thursday, April 04, 2013

Tools dictate behavior

My husband has been sick for awhile so I'm making him a restorative beef soup. I started it this morning on the theory that if it simmered all day, the meat would become soft and digestible and delicious and the broth full of vitamins. (I firmly believe in food as medicine.) But in the last little while the wind has kicked up. It creates just enough of a breeze within the house that on simmer, my gas burner sputters and sputters. I could hear it sputtering even upstairs, at my desk. So I ran downstairs and turned the heat up higher and let the soup boil while I went back up to work; then, worried it had all evaporated, I ran downstairs and turned it off and let it cool awhile as I went back to working; and then, worried it might go bad, I ran downstairs again to turn the heat on again and let it boil again; and so on: every half hour running up and down the stairs to attend to my now imperious restorative soup.

*
For Alejna -- a list:

If you google "tools dictate behavior," you get pages with the following titles:

  • Orangutans' culture dictates their behavior
  • Do neurons dictate behavior?
  • Do genes dictate behavior?
  • Do you let your type dictate your behavior?
  • Does your birth date dictate your behavior?
  • How sporting rules dictate behavior
And the grand prize winner:
  • Actually, rudeness is dictating people's behavior

3 comments:

Magpie said...

Ha ha ha ha ha!

MARY G said...

Really? Snort.

And I am with you about the soup - my dictatorial meal is stew. I always stew about it.

alejna said...

Did I never comment on this? I did in my head. Thanks for the list, in any case!