Thursday, March 08, 2012

Rikki redux

"The Rikki Tikki Tavi cartoon," I told my husband, "isn't as old as I thought it must be." It was directed by Chuck Jones, who made the Bugs Bunny cartoons back in the '50s, and narrated by Orson Welles, who broadcast War of the Worlds in the late '30s.

"It's not old at all," I said. "It was made in 1975."

My husband gave me a look.

"What?! That wasn't even 40 years ago!"

*

My book hasn't the story about the how the elephant got his nose, but it does tell how the rhinoceros got such wrinkly skin. I read it to my daughter. She wasn't impressed.

I think the story stretches credulity too much for children in 2012. It's about a Parsee (a what?) who cooks on a stove that no one else can touch (why not?) on a beach (a stove! on a beach!) where he cooks a cake (cooks a cake on a stove) that is three feet tall and two feet wide (on a stove on the beach).

Or maybe just too much for me!

(Now one of you will explain how you cook a cake on a stove. I'd love to hear
 it : )

6 comments:

MARY G said...

Here's a link to 'The Elephant's Child'. http://www.online-literature.com/poe/165/
I never liked the hippo one either. He's best when he deals with imaginary animals, in my opinion, and leaves out the half/baked Indian stuff.

jo(e) said...

I'd just like to point out that 1975 is NOT that long ago at all. To me, it seems like just the other day.

Magpie said...

a) what jo(e) said.
b) a pancake is a cake cooked on a stove.

Jennifer (ponderosa) said...

And now I'm imagining a 3' high pancake -- and how you'd make that. Lots of eggs and baking powder, right? : )

Joie de Vivre said...

a) what joe e said
b) ooooooooh. i was picturing 3' high cake too!
c) detective stories, really? can you rent those from your library for the ipad?

Jennifer (ponderosa) said...

*My* library doesn't have the Jane Austen Detective series for the ipad; and in fact I had to request the printed copies from a different branch. I can't speak for all libraries, though.