Monday, July 25, 2011

Snooooooooooooooooooooow!

Each summer my dad and I climb together. We've been up Broken Top, Mt. Washington, South Sister, Tam MacArthur and a couple times we've hiked up Black Butte. Usually we go up in August but this year my peripatetic parents are traveling in August. This year we had to hike in July instead.

And we were stopped by snow.

It's such an odd year! Snow fell and fell and fell throughout winter, and then it fell and fell through spring, and spring stayed so late – until last week, basically – that the snow is still up there. My dad and I tried to climb Black Crater, which is only 7000 feet high (Mt. Bachelor is 9000); but about 2/3 of the way to the summit we had to turn around. Snow completely obscured the trail.

*

I took a picture for you but it's on my dad's phone, and my dad is now at Crater Lake with my children. Crater Lake, by the way, just opened today.

(When I grow up, I want to be my parents.)

3 comments:

Magpie said...

freaky.

my husband & i went to crater lake once, in mid-august. we arrived at the lodge in a snowstorm. in a convertible. it was awesome.

jo(e) said...

Crazy. It's been an odd year for weather everywhere.

I went to Crater Lake a few years ago -- what an incredibly gorgeous place.

Joie de Vivre said...

Me, too!