Wednesday, July 07, 2010

No creatures die in this post

Just to reassure you in advance: No creatures die or get eaten in this blog post.

*

Alternate post title: The Camelback of Smugness

Yesterday while out on an itty bitty bike ride I thought about how, if all you knew about Bend, Oregon, came from reading my blog, you'd have a mistaken idea about this town. I'm not particularly representative of Bendites – too self-denying and quiet – and my blog observes too much and acts too little for a Bendite.

So whilst riding I devised a kind of One Word Meme like Alejna's, but Bend-style. It's probably not funny to anyone else, but I just cracked myself up.

Mountain, road or cruiser bike? Mountain.
Are you a two-hour rider or an all-day rider? Two-hour.
Favorite trail? Ben's.
Favorite month for biking? September.
Favorite race? None.

Favorite winter sport? Snowboarding.
Backcountry or Mt. Bachelor? Mt. Bachelor.
Type of pass? Season.
Are you a 20-day-a year rider or a 40+ day-a-year rider? 25.
After the mountain closes, you... BBQ in the parking lot.
And your children – ? Ski.
Lessons or self-taught? Yes.
Mt. Bachelor classes or MBSEF? Mt. Bachelor.

Favorite water sport? Floating the Deschutes!
Ha ha! Seriously. I want to canoe more this year, but I don't own a canoe.
[Questions temporarily derailed as questioner offers list of acquaintances who might sell theirs.]

5K, 10K or 100-miler? I don't run.
[Audible gasp.]

Pilates or Barré? Neither.
Favorite yoga instructor? No yoga.
Gym membership? None.
Well, how do you cross-train? I walk to the library with my kids?
[Exasperation. End of questions.]

3 comments:

Magpie said...

I would love to be on the Deschutes again some day...

nonlineargirl said...

What's Barré?

Too bad you won't be in town this weekend - we are gearing up for my favorite ride: the night ride (15 miles starting at 9pm, stop at mile 5 for popcorn and karaoke, stop at mile 10 for candy and dance party, with donuts at mile 15!)

mayberry said...

I've never been to Bend, but I still liked this! Although I'm not sure you can be my friend if you don't like yoga.