Thursday, August 07, 2008

Rainwater

I woke this morning to a pummelling on the roof so deafening I thought it must be hail, and leapt to open the curtains and watch: but no. Just rain. From our bedroom in this new house I can watch the clouds and rain move from the western to the eastern sky: from the mountains to the desert.

About 9am another boisterous storm rolled right over our house, thunder and lightning and more pummelling rain. Rain rain rain rain rain! We don't get rain very often. I raced to open the windows and doors so the wind could rush through, and I dragged the kids onto the porch; but when we saw lightning strike right there, right over there, I figured that wasn't so wise... The thunder terrified Sasha, too, who would liked to have spent the storm in her closet.

According to KTVZ, a power line transformer blew near Drake Park, which must have been caused by the lightning strike we saw. They say lightning struck a tree at a golf course off Mount Washington Drive, which would be just a hop and a skip from my house.

*

At the library I found a book for the kids called "Wonderful Houses Around the World," which includes the homes of the Diola people of Senegal, whose roofs are shaped like a funnel; rainwater runs down the funnel and pours into a clay barrel. (The link shows the photos from the book.) So. During today's thunderstorm I imagined what it must be like to live in such a house during a storm: how exciting it would be! But -- how would you keep the kids from jumping in the barrel?

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Put a top on it? *grin*

I love the visual this post brought to my mind!

Jennifer (ponderosa) said...

I meant during the storm -- how would you keep the kids from leaping into this rapidly-filling barrel during what might be the only rain storm for weeks and weeks? The book said that most surface water in Senegal is salty, which I imagine wouldn't be fun to swim in... I think even as an adult I'd be tempted leap in that cold, clear water.