Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Hot, damn hot, real hot

I've composed about a dozen posts in my head but written none because I just realized that Bend's eight-week summer is nearly over, and so many things seem more important than writing!

The end of last week and through the weekend was freakishly hot. It was so hot, the squirrels played in my sprinklers. It was so hot, the deer and the dogs both leapt into the river. The soles of my burst into flame, flies spontaneously combusted, eggs fried before I put them in the pan...

Well, maybe not. But it was 106 degrees on Saturday.

This was just an ordinary August weekend but it felt like a holiday, perfect strangers gossiping and laughing together. Friday at Elk Lake I ran into a friend I haven't seen in a year, who was with other people I haven't seen in two years, children grown from fry to fingerlings; everyone was up in the mountains, the whole town, seemed like. That little beach at Elk Lake looked like the Jersey shore.

1 comment:

jo(e) said...

106 degrees? Wow.