Just for fun, I'm doing it again. I modified the date stamp so this would appear after var. 1.
Think of the plants (trees, flowers, etc) which grow within 50 yards of your home. Which is your favorite?
Runner up: Columbine. I love the flower.
Is any portion of this plant edible in any form? Can you boil the root, eat the berries, make tea from the leaves?
According to the internet (second source here) the flowers are good in salads. Huh. I didn't know that. They say you can chew the boiled roots, too, but it doesn't sound enjoyable.
Can you use any portion of this plant to make something that would be truly useful for you? Alternately, can you use any portion of this plant to make something just for fun, just one time?
One-time use: Make a chain for the kids from the stem.
Can this plant survive on the groundwater available to it, or does it need to be watered?
The particular plant I have in mind is in my yard and would probably die if I didn't water it. However, an orange columbine does grow wild along the Deschutes and Tumalo rivers, mostly on the hillsides, and all over the Camp Sherman area.
Do you see any other creatures -- birds or bees or squirrels -- using this plant?
I have never seen this happen, but mustn't bees and butterflies use it?
What does this plant look like right now, during this season and at the time of day you're writing?
It's January 17 around 3pm. You can't even tell it's there. In the fall I cut back the dried stems, so at the moment it's just a small pile of potential!
4 comments:
For the critters question... I am pretty sure the deer like to munch 'em. But then they probably would munch on the pondo too. :)
That's how I feel, like a "small pile of potential" :)
I completely forgot about deer. You're right on both counts.
Did you forget about the hummingbirds loving it for the nectar? And bees would love it for the same reason. Mom
Post a Comment