My sister and I wrote a newsletter one summer. It was the truly, truly wonderful summer before my junior year of college & her sophomore year; we lived in a rented house in Ithaca; we worked a little, but mostly we were free to do exactly as we pleased --- and writing a newsletter was one thing that pleased us.
I know. We were wild.
I had a Mac Classic, the laptop of those days*, and a printer** and I loved to write and I'd interned at a place that taught me to use PageMaker*** and I was bored in that really luxurious youthful summer way: so my sister and I typed up a newsletter. We mailed**** it to our parents and little sister back home.
It was totally hilarious. No, really! It started all serious, you know, "The sisters announced today..." with a headline and byline and placeline, and then it would go on to say we'd eaten cereal for breakfast. Cheerios, of course, not Lucky Charms, because our parents raised us so well.
Yes: it was just like a blog. Not like Facebook or Twitter, those bastions of the one-liner: it was just like a blog.
I miss blogging.
* god, does anything date a person like technology? Before cell phones: after email but before the World Wide Web: therefore, 1991
** dot-matrix. Yep, there is an e-learning piece about a technology from my college years
*** in high school the yearbook staff learned PageMaker but I was on the newspaper staff, and we literally pasted the paper together
**** no, that's not a typo. We mailed it. I told you, it was nineteen ninety one
2 comments:
I miss your blogging too, for what it's worth.
I missed blogging too, and started back up too!! Let's do this. :)
Post a Comment