Monday, June 06, 2011

Little House in the Backyard

Now that daytime temps are consistently over 50 degrees, I've moved my home office into the backyard.

In the backyard we have a little house – a converted one-car garage, I think – with electricity but no plumbing. People have suggested we use it as a kids' playroom, a yoga studio, a guest bedroom or a rented bedroom. My mother-in-law thought she might use it as a painting studio.

For the first three years we lived here, though, we never did anything with the little house. The kids didn't want to play in it; I don't teach yoga; and when people visit they'd rather stay in the main house, even if it means they have to sleep on the floor. We left the little house closed up: not mildewing, since it's dry here, but definitely moldering. Finally last month, however, a straw broke. I decided I needed a fixed office – not a spot at the dining room table or in my bedroom, which needs to be cleaned up every day, but a place of my own.

And so: since it is now consistently over 50 degrees during the day, I'm working from the little house .. with all the doors and windows open and a fan running. After three years it's so dusty and cobwebby it makes me sneeze! Opened like this it's more a pavilion than a house; it's just like being in the backyard. I can hear the birds and my neighbors and the train whistle and, in the morning, the parkway buzz. Today the neighbors' cat came by and licked my lunch plate.

6 comments:

alejna said...

It sounds lovely. (Except for the dusty sneezy parts.)

How are the bugs in your area? We can barely use our yard due to the mosquitoes.

Jennifer (ponderosa) said...

Well, mosquitoes do live in Bend but mostly in riparian areas. We don't really get them at our house. Later in the year I'll have yellow jackets snacking on my lunch, but right now, no, there aren't any bugs. (It's still pretty cold, too!)

Kenny said...

Sounds like a fun place for Drupaling! :o)

Mayberry said...

Sounds good! Even the cat, as long as you were finished with your lunch.

Magpie said...

Ooh. A house of your own! Want. Pictures?

Jennifer (ponderosa) said...

Sure, I'll post a picture. You'll see me sitting in my ski coat -- it's still freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezing in the mornings here!