Tuesday, December 07, 2010

Of ninjas and vowels

While completing her spelling homework Sasha sang a little song to herself, the refrain of which was "silent e is a ninja."

It was a catchy little tune but mystifying. In what way is "silent e" like a ninja? What is a ninja, anyhow?

"Sasha," I asked, "what's a ninja?"

She looked at me. "I don't know."

So – curiosity distracting me from the dirty dinner dishes, as it often does – I got out my trusty iPod and googled definition:ninja. You probably already know this, but I did not: a ninja was a 14th century martial arts expert hired for espionage or assassination. They were noted for their stealthy movements and skill at camouflage.

Right. But in what way is "silent e" like a stealthy assassin? What a ridiculous phrase to teach a child, I thought. I prefer the phrase the school taught my son: "the e makes the vowel say its name."

I googled silent e is a ninja.

And lo.

"Sasha," I asked – interrupting, again, both her song and her homework; no wonder it takes her awhile to finish – "Sasha, did you learn that song at school?"

No.

It's a music video from The Electric Company!


No comments: