Sunday, October 17, 2010

Shadows

Artist Sister-in-law suggested my little family hike along a particular trail across the way from Sparks Lake* where springs emerge from tumbled lava rock, and where one may find petroglyphs.

"Take pictures of the shadows for me," she said.




Hidden in the shadows.


Shadows of the past.


Shadow of the future.

I thought this might be a hummingbird nest – Hummingbird Island is nearby – but my daughter declared it a cocoon.



Me and my shadow.

I leave it to you to decide whether she is my shadow, or I hers.


The dark shadows of fall.



*I thought she called it Devil's Garden, but the internet says Devil's Garden is near Fort Rock. I couldn't find this trail on any online maps.

2 comments:

MARY G said...

Those are beautiful photos and I especially like the one of your two shadows.
Hummingbirds around here are all tree nesters; I suspect that it is a cocoon unless yours nest very differently.
What a beautiful spot and what a beautiful day you had for it.

mayberry said...

Wow, very cool cocoon! Did you hear the item NPR this weekend about the Wooly Worm festival (complete with races!)?