Friday, September 17, 2010

Break it up

On Wednesday the children and I – well, mostly the one child, my daughter – planted 64 daffodil bulbs. On Thursday the squirrel (who's been going berzerk for weeks now) dug them up.

"God damn squirrel!" said she.

In other news, this morning she broke up a fight between a Stellar's Jay and a Western Scrub-jay. They were apparently attempting to peck each other to death. I don't know why; it's the squirrel who's stealing all the ponderosa pine cones. A posse of jays squawked, squawked, squawked at the warriors from the fence.

"Arrp!" my daughter screeched at them. "Arrrrrrrp!"

They broke it up. Everyone always listens to Sasha.

*

Veronica Mitchell asked (via Twitter) how we make the narratives of motherhood interesting to non-parents. I don't have an answer; I just know that this? Isn't it!

What do you think?

4 comments:

dkgoodman said...

Seems to me that you can use common story-telling technique to make "family" posts interesting to everybody.

What makes stories interesting? Characters we care about in interesting situations.

Make your spouse and pets and kids characters. Describe them. Reveal their strengths and weakness, their fears and loves. Use details to make them real. Help us identify with them, and remember how we are or were like them.

Use their experiences and conflicts to reveal their traits. Show how they use their strengths, how they overcome or yield to fear, how they pursue their goals. Are they afraid of spiders? Do they love dinosaurs? Use that. Are they confronted with bullies or things that scare them? Show how they're tested and how they grow and learn. Use all the senses to describe how things look, and smell, and feel, and sound.

Use the stories as a metaphor for bigger issues.

Surprise us. :)

Jennifer, your stories are pretty much always interesting.

mayberry said...

Wow. I was going to say I had no idea, but the previous commenter nailed it! Sasha is a wonderful character.

MARY G said...

I think you need to coat your bulbs with cayenne pepper. Works with Eastern Ontario red squirrels, anyway. For the greys we use chicken wire on top of the bed.

Well, no. This is it. You tell your stories gently and clearly, and your subject matter is terrific.

Jennifer (ponderosa) said...

This really wasn't a request for complements : ) but thanks, you guys.

And Mary, my mom suggested chicken wire, too. I'll try it.