NW Express is the lowest chair on the back side of the mountain. Once you've skied down to it, there's nowhere else to go. Either you take a chairlift back up or you hike back up.
So, so. Me and over a hundred other people, we took off our coats and rolled up our sleeves — it was warm, I tell you — and we hiked to Outback, the nearest chair that had power. A couple people complained. Other people seemed to consider it an adventure, or part of the deal, or something, and stopped strangers to say, "Take my picture!" The hike took 20 minutes or so. Upon arrival at Outback Mt. Bachelor employees gave me a free day pass, saying, "Thanks for your patience!" I stood there squinting in the sun, sweating, proud that I'd barely lost my breath. After a few minutes I found my husband and son, who had gotten a ride on a snowmobile.*
— —
On the ride up Outback our seatmate commented, "That was still better than my best day in the Army!" People often say things like that. When it's extremely cold or stormy or raining or too warm, so that the snow grabs your board as you fling on ahead, people always say something like, "At least I'm not at work!" or "At least I'm not stuck in traffic!" I'd rather be here than anywhere else, even on the worst days... People used to freely criticize the mountain's operations, though — to rant about it, even. In my totally unscientific analysis, that seems to be changing.
* Before you get indignant over my husband's getting a ride: the snowmobile has a tow rope, and I didn't think that I could successfully manage that on a snowboard, which has a sideways stance. It was easier for me to hike & stick him with the kid.
3 comments:
When I was in Colorado a few weeks ago for a snowshoeing race (that I did at a walking pace, it should be noted), several of the participants walked up the mountain to the race start; the rest of us took a chair lift. Seeing those little specks hiking up--now that was something.
Yeah... I think it's a point of pride for some people that they are able to hike up whatever they can ski (or snowshoe!) down.
I love your ski stories. And I have no problem with snowmobiles unless they are frozen to the bottom of the marsh. We still have snow here, but not for long.
Post a Comment