Sunday, August 23, 2009

The first frost can't come fast enough

My kitchen is immaculate. That's not usually the case. I tend to leave dinner's pots and pans until morning; and because the kids and I forage all day – sitting down to breakfast or lunch is such a waste of time, don't you think? – there's almost always dirty cups or plates on the counter. I store fruit in a bowl on the counter. I keep the bletch bucket there.

No longer. I wash dishes immediately; I store all food in the refrigerator; the bletch bucket is emptied 10 times a day. My kitchen is immaculate, I tell you.

It's the bugs. I can't stand it anymore. Fruit flies! House flies! Earwigs! Spiders! Moths! The other day I found a gigantic, black beetle in my bowl of strawberries. I've never seen such a beetle. How did it get in the house, never mind in my bowl of strawberries? Eeee-uck.

Also, we have ants. Sugar ants, they call 'em. They're mostly in the living room. The kids and I followed them to try to find their nest; we didn't see evidence of one, but after awhile we realized the ants were entering and exiting from the floorboards near the front door. I bought little ant houses with poison inside. It was an interesting science lesson for the children – kill the queen, kill the colony; but how do you kill the queen if you can't see her? – although I must say it's a lesson I'd rather have taught them theoretically than experientially.

So, yeah. My kitchen is immaculate. At least until the first frost.

3 comments:

Kristen said...

Every September, we get ants for about 10 days. I have no idea why they only come once a year and why they only stay for a week and a half, but they do.

Or maybe they are here all the time, and just come out to visit once a year?

I never once see ants from October - August. Not sure why.

Enjoy your immaculate kitchen

Book Nerd said...

Congrats on your immaculate kitchen. Ants can find their way into anywhere!

Jennifer (ponderosa) said...

I'd enjoy the kitchen a lot more if I weren't the one cleaning it : )