Alternate careers I think I would have liked, in no particular order.
Botanist. I am curious to know if a serviceberry could be crossed with a blueberry. Could you get a larger, sweeter berry that's drought- and frost-resistant?
Mediator. As a parent I resolve disputes all day long and I find it interesting. (Ask me again at bedtime, though. I might have a different answer.) In my last job I had a lot of responsibility but no authority, which means I had to make people want to do what I wanted them to do; that's a lot like parenting, actually, and I think like arbitrating professionally.
Technical writer or writer of science texts for children. I dislike dinosaurs, to speak honestly, but I do appreciate the art of creating dinosaur texts for small children. It's a puzzle. How do you explain extinction to a four-year-old? How do you explain the dinosaurs' extraordinary size?*
Arborist. Last fall an arborist trimmed our 120-foot-tall ponderosa and then lopped the top 20 feet off a trio of dead birches. He was like an acrobat, like a dancer, up in those trees. He sang the whole while. I think I'd enjoy that, too.
Bookstore owner. Doesn't everybody want to own a bookstore? I'd like to own one of those silent, dusty stores along Burnside in Portland, across from Powell's, the ones that sell old books about the Pacific Northwest and have so few customers that the place barely turns a profit, but the owner is happy anyway because she gets to spend the entire day reading.
Career choices which would be a colossal mistake:
Anything requiring decision-making; anything requiring attention to detail; and anything requiring the wearing of high heels.
What about you?
*Not all dinosaurs were gigantic. Some were the size of a chicken. (For the record.)
4 comments:
Count me in on the bookstore. Or I'd be an actor, but without all that aggravating fame.
I would totally run a bookstore.
Also, be a famous writer.
Bookstore!!! Yes, Wonderful idea. But I want one in an old building on several floors with reading nooks and a kids' section.
Am I ever with you on the high heeled shoes thing.
Other unfortunate things I could do but wouldn't -- short order cook, seamstress, chauffeur, wedding caterer. Watch the wedding thing; a daughter's day can use up a year of your time.
Great post!
Writer. Of course.
There really isn't anything else that isn't at least tangentially related.
That's either very sad, or very good.
Post a Comment