Monday, February 16, 2009

Zdrast-vwy Dee-ma

Witty Russian Guy with Two Young Daughters owned a car. It must have been a Lada. It ran inconsistently. Usually I travelled around Kaliningrad by trolley or bus, but sometimes Witty Russian would give me a ride.

Once we stopped for gas. Now, gas stations in Kaliningrad at that time did not look like gas stations back home. They hadn't any infrastructure. No mini-marts, of course, and no shelter from rain. No windshield-washing stations. No garbage cans. No pavement, sometimes. The hoses had no automatic shut-off, so you either splashed gasoline on yourself when the tank overflowed (this happened to me, which amused everyone around), or you didn't fill your tank completely.

Anyway, Witty Russian Guy with Two Young Daughters and I stopped for gas at a station which had two pumps, one for regular and one for premium gasoline. Witty Russian asked me what I thought of that. "What is in the premium pump?"

I tried to remember the technical difference between the two, gave up, and said in my rudimentary Russian, "Good gas."

Which made him laugh. "No," said he. "In Russia, premium gas is watered down."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Zdravstwooy Zhenia!
Here's some corrections to your text (unsorted):
At first you forgot the gas-station was served by bears.
Second, you mistyped "Guy" instead of "Communist".
Third, are you really ashamed to explain by what a regular gas was watered down?
And finally, to say I owned Lada is to hit below the belt! It was 13yo Opel which later died on me! Remember: Lada isn't a car but just a [s]crap metal.

Anonymous said...

haha! i love that witty russian guy with two young daughters is providing commentary! it's like you are both here telling me a story!

Jennifer (ponderosa) said...

I do seem to remember a time when you hooked the (temporarily non-functioning) Opel to another car with a tow rope. I steered the Opel while you drove the car doing the towing.

Our Audi is nearly 10 years old. May she serve us as well as that Opel served you ; )

Anonymous said...

It's unreal, you lie! I'd never entrusted anyone with the most precious thing I had.