Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Found objects 2

When my husband moved in with me he brought a lot of stuff: skis, bikes, clothes, lots of furniture and a reprint of Dali's Geopoliticus Child Watching the Birth of the New Man. I didn't mind any of it but the reprint, which I find creepy and disturbing. The skis could stay in the hallway where I tripped over them every day, but that poster -- no, I wouldn't have it around. So it went in the closet.

Ten plus years later -- yesterday, actually -- while my husband was dragging stuff out from our storage area, we rediscovered the Dali reprint. Blake dropped everything to stare at it. He squatted in front of it for at least 20 minutes. I kept asking what he thought of it but he couldn't tell me... We brought it inside and he studied it while eating his snack; when Sasha came home, he shouted Look! and the two of them before it for awhile longer. Then Blake said, "I can't think about that picture with my eyes open," and he lay down in his bed, put his head under his pillow.

Why did he find it so interesting? What was he thinking? His reaction was strong enough that I am almost willing to allow it into the house.

4 comments:

Mayberry said...

ooh. no. I don't think I could do it!

NotSoSage said...

I love Dali. And I love watching kids' first reactions to striking pieces of art.

If you ever find out what he was thinking, make sure you let us know.

alejna said...

Wow, that's amazing that he had such an intense reaction. It would make me want to take him to a museum.

I love to look at Dali paintings, but haven't committed to displaying any. (And that one is probably not one I'd choose.) But perhaps you can keep the print in the house in an unobtrusive location...

Magpie said...

fascinating.