Our master bedroom has a long window along the north side of the house which looks directly at my neighbor's garage -- so, of course, our curtain is nearly always drawn. But in the mornings Blake climbs into bed to wake me, and then I rescue Sasha (since he wakes her when he leaves their room; or, if she is already awake, she's vocal about being left behind), and then I raise the blinds to see what the day presents us.
At this time of year it's a lovely way to wake. It's nearly always sunny in the morning, damp from sprinklers. A young, ethereal vine maple which grows beside the house casts a green shadow. At the moment this vine maple has tiny, reddish flowers growing in clusters. The bees love them.
Two different species of bees hover constantly around this tree. I find it so interesting. I had to look it up. One species is clearly a bumblebee: a fat yellow and black thing with wings so tiny it's amazing it can fly. It's cute. The other species is long and thin with three distinct body sections: classic insect. It is not cute. It's not particularly notable except in contrast to the bumblee. But I looked around for awhile and I believe this is a leaf-cutter bee, which makes its home in underground holes that it lines with pieces of leaf. The leaf-cutter bee was Bug of the Month at the Pacific Northwest Native Gardening Society in August 1996.
*
Sasha has been weaning herself. Twice today she refused to nurse. Wait, wait! How do I get her back to sleep in the night if she won't nurse?
No comments:
Post a Comment